This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.
Detoxes are something that gets discussed a lot, these days. People tend to think that ‘going on a detox’ is good for them. That they can cut out things like coffee and chocolate, switch them with lemon water and fruit smoothies, and miraculously detox their bodies. Well, before you start that detox, you need to know the truth. Read on to find out more…
Your Body Doesn’t Need To Detox
Your body detoxes all by itself. You do not need lemon water, aloe vera gel, or any other weird stuff to help it along. It doesn’t help. Most of the time, especially when buying this stuff from a company or a person pedaling it, you’re simply wasting money. Now, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay the recovery village a visit if you have a serious problem. However, if you’ve simply been eating a little bit too much junk or doing a little too much socializing with alcohol, you can just stop and hone in on your diet and exercise instead.
Yes, things like lemon water and smoothies can be very good for you, but they should be part of a balanced lifestyle anyway. Everything in moderation. You shouldn’t be using anything as a ‘quick fix’!
Feeling Good Year Round
Sometimes, we do feel like we need to spend a little more time caring for ourselves. Maybe we just returned back from a holiday where you visited a lot of clubs and bars, or you’ve been working so hard in the office that you’ve barely had time to get enough sleep and a decent meal in you. You need to make sure you make feeling good part of your lifestyle. You certainly don’t need to spend hundreds on a kit to help you do it. Don’t listen to what anybody says; it doesn’t matter how many vitamins that low cal shake apparently has, or the benefits of aloe vera gel – you can enjoy the same benefits by simply eating right and getting your body moving. You don’t need to starve yourself or force down gross liquids.
Here are some pointers to help you feel good year round:
- Start drinking 2-3 liters of water daily. Carry a bottle with you to help you remember. Yes, you can add lemon if you want. Don’t do one of those silly water detoxes! The body needs food.
- Aim to get as many portions of vegetables into your day as you can. Have them with each meal, and snack on them. They’ll fill you up and they’re good for you.
- Take vitamins if you require them. Not everybody does, and not everybody needs the same vitamins. Speak with your doctor if you’re confused about what you should take. If you have a deficiency, or you’re on a special diet (vegetarian, vegan, etc), then this could be an important step for you to take.
- Make sure you’re getting the amount of sleep you need. How much this is for you will vary. It could be anywhere from 7-9 hours per night.
- Move every day, even if you just go on a short, 10-minute walk at a brisk pace.
Don’t buy into the fads and feel good year-round instead!
This post is a contributed post.